Friday, October 03, 2008

Have some more piracy until you vomit

Since I'm not original and piracy is the big topic these days, I just decided to copy/paste myself here (first step towards madness), so I'll just have to drop a link to this post instead of bothering repeating myself ad vitam aeternam. It's about DRMs. This bit, I originally typed it after reading more of respected Mr. Molyneux about his view on the PC gamer market, right or wrong, that he believes is in tatters (whole interview at VideoGamer).
Escapist expanded on this, by looking at a former report from TorrentFreak, about how Spore had already been downloaded 500,000 times via BitTorrent. Spore was released between the 4th and 7th of september. TorrentFreak posted their article the 13th.

Politician: I'm a gamer at heart too, but you should accept DRMs, it's meant to protect you, to honour those who are honest with themselves, who play it fair. If Spore has it, I suppose it's a good thing.

Journo: But Spore has the highest pirated download rate ever recorded on a torrent site.

Politician: My numbers don't agree, Spore is certainly not the most pirated game you can find on torrent.

Journo: That's not what I said.

Politician: Look. People are misled by false numbers and don't realize how DRMs would help the PC market, which is in turmoil and despair. People loose their jobs, families break, suicide rates explode and kittens die day after day. Anyone who doesn't approve DRMs is pro-piracy and has a responsibility in this societal and economical disaster. They should be ashamed.

Sarcasm aside, I share his view on how people cite the flood of obscure casual games or the sovereignty of MMOs such as World of Warcraft to show how the PC is a healthy gaming platform, often neglecting to think about the games which typically thrived on this same market some years ago, notably its most renowned genre, the First Person Shooter.

No comments: